Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Looking back - OMG a dragon!

When I was little, my parents bought me a book. It was about dragons.
At the time dragons were just monsters from stories, but suddenly, they weren't. This book made them real.

I suspected even then that it may be a clever make belief and that there aren't in fact any dragons around. But the book was so good it made me want to believe there could be dragons.

That book was The Book of the Dragon illustrated by Ciruelo Cabral.


Before I knew Todd Lockwood existed (DnD never really got to Czech Republic, only in English and not many people played it), I suddenly saw dragons and they were there, real and stuff.

Looking back at them, many of them aren't as amazing, now that I've seen a ton of other dragon art.

But the Water Dragon is still just as gentle and beautiful as when I saw it for the first time:


(I thought "Goodness, what a wonderful idea! It makes so much sense!" back then. And yeah, it still does. ;))

And an image I didn't care for much then, I find quite amazing now. The Dragon Prince is small room full of thunder and concealed dragon nature. So dynamic and narrative.


I'm not sure if it's the same book, but it probably is. So if you want to, you can buy it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Dragon-Gustavo-Ciruelo-Cabral/dp/1402728115

Ciruelo Cabral's website is here:  http://www.ciruelo.info/

No comments:

Post a Comment